Saturday, June 12, 2010

EPiC WeEkEnd


My first real weekend, and it was an epic one. My friends shawn, courtney, and I drove the Tioga pass (that just opened bc it is SO snowy up there still) through the high country, through Tuolomne Meadows, and over to the East side of the Sierras where there is a little town called Lee vining. There lies the legendary Mobil station (that i have heard about endlessly since i got here) that has a gourmet restaurant in it. We stopped there and ate fish tacos (awesome with mango!) overlooking Mono lake (a huge crazy colored lake that has these crazy islands with calcium deposit spire things). We then made our way south following a book my boss gave me to borrow from the 80's called 'Sierra Hot Springs'. We found the springs by following the directions..."turn left by the green church, then count three cattle guards and turn right down the dirt road until you reach a white dried up alkaline lake. Then walk .5 miles down the creek to the hot spring. Clothing optional. Best time to bathe at 4 or 5 pm" We appraoched to see a bunch of naked hippies bathing in the natural hot spring. hilarious. we stayed there until about sunset, hangin out with the hippies and other folks that came through, drinkin a few mammoth beers and looking out at this quiet meadow with the high sierras in the backdrop. Epic.

Today my friend Courtney and I (whose friendship has been totally awesome and divinely appointed for sure) did a beast of a hike. We started around 10:30, hiked up the four mile trail to glacier point, then took the panorama trail down to nevada falls. Then we hopped on the mist trail and took it all the way back to the valley, past vernal falls which is at its peak flow right now and RAGING! (please look at my pictures on FB) Finished the day with a blue moon and a little buffet action where I pounded some food after a 15 mile hike.

Bad news, my bike is out of commission YET AGAIN! so frustrating. I am hoping my boss's boyfriend can take a look at it when he gets back from skiing at mammoth this weekend.

Tomorrow is work again. I am doing a LOT of research and putting together an hour long twighlight stroll on the topic of wilderness. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment