Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My last epic Yosemite run...


This morning I was able to partake in the last of my epic Yosemite runs (for now at least). I accomplished a huge goal of being able to run to the top of Nevada falls without stopping or hiking! I continued up the Panorama Trail to Glacier Point, then came down the 4mile trail and back to Curry. I think it is about a total 17 mile loop! I am excited about getting back home and racing! I am signing up today for a half marathon in Charlotte in September, and seriously considering doing my first Ultra in October!
BUT, two interesting things happened that I need to note:
1. I ran into like 5 different Asian people with huge obnoxious bells on their backpacks coming down the Panorama trail. I had a hunch, but it finally annoyed me so much that I just had to stop and ask why the heck they were doing that. Of course, I got the answer, "to avoid the bears and animals." I don't exactly know what to think of this yet. I mean, I can understand the fear of wild things from a person who has lived in the city their whole lives and heard about animal attacks and what not. At least they are getting out onto a trail, loud obnoxious bell or no bell.
At the same time, it kind of made me a little angry and sad! But I know that I can't hold it against them, I need to seek to understand better this fear that they have. Are they just ignorant to the true nature of a Black Bear? Where does their fear come from?
2. I was running today in my Carolina Gamecocks softball shirt and I run into a guy wearing a Clemson shirt! It was funny because I stopped and said, "so i notice your shirt...." and we just laughed and said "the rivals meet even in the backcountry of california!!" It was funny stuff...
Last day of work tomorrow, crazy crazy that this summer has gone by so fast and been so incredibly awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment